Welcome

To you all, thank you for your company and your time

Thursday 8 October 2009

Hello!


I have decided to dip my toes into the blogging world - how exciting! I know that I am very late to this - but hey, better late than never.

This week I have been starting to think about Christmas preparations and the onset of October means that it's time to pickle onions - I know it would be really easy to just buy them but there is something satisfying and homely about doing your own. I had to sit in the garden to do this because otherwise I would cry buckets! I always wear my glasses as well as this helps keeps my eyes from stinging.



Peeling away those lovely papery skins to reveal :-




Those lovely little onions inside.  After peeling the onions I leave them overnight with salt sprinkled over them to bring out the juices.  The next morning rinse and let drain then pack them into sterilised jars pour over malt vinegar to completely cover the onions.  I add a spoonful of sugar to take a little of the sharpness away, then seal and put in a cool place for about eight weeks - just in time for Christmas!



I love the colourful Cyclamen that are around at the moment:-



They bring a welcome touch of colour into my home now the nights are starting to draw in.  Still its a good excuse to snuggle up and get to grips with my crochet, and think about putting the heating on if hubby will let me!

Speak soon xx






































No comments:

Post a Comment